Friday, November 20, 2009

FW: FW: FW: Basket Bandit

Boy, have I got a story for you. I know that you are tired of reading about the different numbers to dial to reach emergency, (since apparently dialing 911 will not work), tired of going to www.snopes.com to verify if an email you received is true even though we know it is impossible for insect larvae to live inside a womans areola - but this ACTUALLY happened to me and I am obliged to pass this information on to you (and 100 other people to get a $10 Best Buy card).

For sometime now I have visited my local Wal-Mart and everytime I pick out the best cart with the shiny wheels and firm straight handle, I without fail end up walking out of Wal-Mart with the ricketiest basket, about to fall apart at any second. Was I actually the victim of a basket shake-up? Was someone following me, with the exact items I had in their basket, and then, unbeknownst to me, switching out my flashy new basket for a rickety one? I decided to investigate!

My next trip to Wal-Mart I was prepared to stop this basket bandit. I brought along with me a long red string to tie on my basket so that I could identify it again should the basket bandit strike. I then proceeded to pick out the shiniest basket with wheels so straight I would have guessed it had just recently received a shopping cart alignment. I picked up a head of cabbage, some fig newtons, a couple of liters of coke, each time turning my back for minutes in case it was now that the basket bandit would make his move; and then proceeded to the check out lane. Here, the basket bandit would have his best chance to complete his basket swap.

After waiting several minutes, I returned the magazine I pretended to be reading to the shelf and checked out. After receiving my receipt, I turned to reach for my basket, and alas! He had struck! To my terror, the exact groceries I had picked out were now bagged and sitting in a rickety basket with no red string. The cashier, noting the horror on my face, asked what was wrong. I decided to let her in on the conspiracy, only to receive a smile in response.

"Ma'am, when you check out," she said, "while you are putting your groceries on the counter, we are ringing them up, bagging them, and putting them in another basket for you to take out of the store."

The case of the basket bandit had been solved.

And in reading this story you may think it is the stupidest thing you have ever read. But you are mistaken. The email you read before reading this article telling you to forward an email to 10 people (which you promptly did) to receive a $50 Starbucks card was by far much more ridiculous! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment